Thursday, September 9, 2010

Q&A with agent Michael Gaston

Michael Gaston is a new name in the representation business. He is a former graduate of the University of Arizona with a major degree in communications and a minor in business administration. Gaston is a NBA certified agent and he also got the FIBA lisence to better represent his clients worldwide. Michael has a great ability in recruiting perspective talents and its own shop based in San Francisco, California is becoming full of good calibers.

Hello Michael, tell our readers how did you decide to start the representation business?

I have always had a true passion for sports since a young age. I played basketball, baseball and soccer while growing up. I am a very competitive individual and have always been interested in pursuing a career in sports management. The decision of becoming a sports agent was easy for me. I get the opportunity to wake up every morning and do something I truly love to do which is help athletes achieve their professional and personal goals.

Do you have a certification in the US to work as a sports agent?

Yes, I am certified by the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA).

What is your normal work day like?

What I love the most about being a sports agent is that every day is different. In this business you never know what to expect one day to the next. Being that I live in the United States and have clients who play in Europe, Asia and South America my days start early and end late. My work day usually starts with me answering emails, calling my clients and contacting coaches, agents and general managers. It also includes managing the day to day operations of the business while looking for new opportunities globally for my clients and 1GSports.

You are an emerging name in the business, how do you plan your work for the years to come.

I have always believed that preparation is the key to success. Benjamin Franklin said "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail". My agency 1GSports and my career as a sports agent is a product of preparation, hard work and having a realistic plan for success. In this business, it is hard to plan for the unexpected but as the agency continues to grow, we will still focus on providing world-class service, building strong personalized relationships with our clients and keeping to our core values.

Can you tell us your biggest satisfaction so far?

My greatest satisfaction has been seeing the success of my clients and seeing them develop as men on and off the basketball court. A majority of my clients have just graduated from college and I enjoy being able to share my knowledge and experiences with them. I always tell my clients that I want them to walk away from the game in a better situation than when they began their professional career. When I first meet with a client I ask them where they want to be in five to ten years. From there we sit down together and devolop a blueprint that provides them with a path to success. "The secret of life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes" - Benjamin Disraeli.

No comments:

Post a Comment